5 Tips to Make a Powerful Brand Identity
In the age of fierce competition, a strong brand identity is a must. And it doesn’t matter whether your company is big or small and whether you operate locally or globally. If there is a lack of brand identity, your products have little chances to be noticed.
Read this article to find out how to create a powerful brand that will help you to grow your business. Whether you started your company a week ago or ten years ago, the following tips will be useful for you.
Focus on your goals and values
The first step you should take is to answer the following question:
- Why did you start your company?
- What is the major goal of your company?
- What values does your company promote?
Money is not the only thing that matters, right? Define the ways your company can contribute to society. Think about how your products can change the world for the better.
“Brand identity at its basic level is all about the perception that people have of the brand,” says Damien Calhoun, a branding expert from TopWritersReview. “This perception is based on the brand’s appearance and messaging, among other things.”
If you need the inspiration to define the goals and values of your company, take a look at the vision statements of famous brands.
- Nestle’s goal is “to enhance the quality of consumers’ lives every day, everywhere by offering tastier and healthier food and beverage choices and encouraging a healthy lifestyle”.
- Tesla’s goal is “to drive the world’s transition to electric vehicles.”
- Reebok’s goal is “to provide each and every athlete with the opportunity, the products, and the inspiration to achieve what they are capable of.”
- Volvo’s goal is “to reduce the number of people that die or are seriously injured in road traffic accidents to zero”.
Screenshot source: https://www.volvocars.com/en-om/about/our-stories/vision-2020
Create marketing personas
It’s impossible to create a strong brand identity if you have a vague idea of who your customers are. So, the next step you should take is to define your target audience and analyze it in detail.
It means that you should focus your attention not only on demographics (e.g., age, marital status, ethnicity, location) but also on psychographic parameters of your target audience. You should find out what preferences, attitudes, and believes your customers have.
Let’s consider an example that explains how knowing your marketing persona you can strengthen your brand.
Imagine that you sell organic superfoods. Your products are popular among 21-35-year-old women who belong to middle-class, and who live in medium-sized and big cities. Besides the demographics, you also know that more than half of your customers practice yoga and meditation.
If you want to create a brand logo that perfectly appeals to the target audience, you should use symbols that are associated with yoga. For instance, you can use a lotus flower as the element of your logo design to make your customers tick.
Design a logo
Every well-known brand has a catchy logo. And if you do not have a logo, or if your current logo design does not work well, you should invest your efforts in new logo design creation. And the first step you should take is to answer the following questions:
- What style does appeal to your target audience the most: minimalist, sophisticated, rustic, etc.?
- What type of logo design match your company the best: wordmark, lettermark, abstract symbol, emblem, etc.?
- How & where you will use your logo design: on your website, social media, printed media, T-shirts and mugs, etc.?
- What shapes do you want to use: sharp and angular or circular?
Screenshot source: https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/projects/max_808/59b8d285506659.Y3JvcCwzMjYwLDI1NTAsMTYsMA.jpg
It’s highly recommended to design two or three versions of a logo and then pick the most suitable option. You can ask the opinion of your team. Or, you can run a poll on social media to know the opinion of your followers.
Choose the right color palette
Once your sketch is ready, you need to make a decision about what color scheme to use. You should pick:
- One or two main colors
- From three to five complementary colors
- One or two accent colors
Even if you want to use a one-color or two-color logo, you should choose additional colors. You should set a specific color palette.
Why it’s so important? Because logos do not exist in a vacuum. Logos should match the color pallet of the website, social media profiles, and other elements of brand identity.
Take a look at Dunkin’s logo. The main colors of this brand are orange and pink. But the company also uses three complementary colors: brawn, white, and black to maintain brand consistency.
Screenshot source: https://www.dunkindonuts.com/en
If you do not know what colors to choose, here is a short color guide for you:
- The green color is associated with healthiness, eco-friendliness, freshness, and calmness. It works well for organic and vegetarian brands, as well as for financial companies.
- The red color is associated with confidence, energy, and intensity. This color increases heart rate and appetite and creates a sense of urgency.
- The yellow color is all about happiness, friendliness, and warmth. If you position your company as positive and friendly, this color is right for you.
- The orange color is associated with excitement, joy, and creativity. It activates brain activity and inspires consumers to take action
- The pink is associated with femininity and sweet taste. It works well for brands that target young women or people who like sweets.
- The black color is all about elegance and style. It evokes a feeling of sophistication and exclusiveness.
- The blue color is associated with stability and peacefulness. It works well for companies of any kind: from IT startups and banks to automotive and electronics brands.
Analyze logos of your competitors
Another important thing you should do is to compare your brand logo with your competitors’ logos. You should get to know what shapes and colors other companies use to succeed in the market. Also, you should get an idea of what elements of design you should avoid.
Let’s imagine that your company sells organic vegan food. If you look at the companies that work in your industry, you will notice that most of them use green, circular-shaped, wordmark (or emblem) logos.
Naturally, all these logos appeal to the target audience. But the problem is that they look alike. And if you create something similar, your customers will not be able to distinguish your brand from other brands. So if you want your company to stand out, you should think out of the box and try to create something brand new.
Wrapping it up
In the modern world, the importance of powerful brand identity is hard to overestimate. So you should invest your time and effort in creating high-quality visual elements of brand identity.
Feel free to apply the tips given. Create a strong brand identity that will take your company to the next level.
If you need any help with your brand identity, contact us today!